Sunday, February 19, 2012

Weight distribution within the pack

The only thing more important than weight distribution is the accessibility. you don't want to unpack everything when you need water I've heard some people say they are most comfortable with the bulk of the weight high on the pack. For me I'm most comfortable with the weight center closest to my shoulder blades. the only way I've been able to read how the pack sit's on me is to look in the mirror with the pack on. every pack sits different. with that in mind, here is how I have prepared for georgia and  the smokey mountains
Main compartment- food bag 8 pounds sits at the bottom of the main compartment. on top of that hammock tarp stakes rope all stuffed inside a 10 liter waterbag total weight approximately 5 pounds. hammocks spreder bars and shelter shoes complete the main compartment.
Center bottom compartment-
Insulated nylon shell ski pants, 1 light marino and 1 light fleece total approx 2 pounds. my mess kit contains stove and fuel total 1 pound 11 ounces.
Upper side bags each hold 1 quart containers. lower side bags contain headlamp ,spade ,toilet kit ,notepad disposable lighter ,gloves, hand warmers pain reliever and sunblock
Center exterior pouch holds the 5 liter dry bag containing first aid and all my electronix totaling under 2 pounds.
Map pouch on flap contains trash bag, zip ties water purification tablets.


No comments:

Post a Comment